John2 IRWIN Descendents
This John IRWIN is often spoken of as John IRWIN, Jr., the son of John1 Irwin and Elizabeth Cunningham. For the sake of clarity, we'll refer to him here as John2 IRWIN. He was born in TN, 29 Apr 1788*, was a participant in the War of 1812, and married Jemima STOCKTON 28 Sept 1815. John2 Irwin died 30 Jul 1884. See a transcription of his will.
Jemima Stockton Irwin, ca 1880s or 1890s.
Reproduction of original in collection of Texas State Archives.
Jemima STOCKTON IRWIN was born 13 May 1796 (referred to in Mr. Ferguson's Clinton County History - Vol. 1 as one of the "belles" of Stockton's Valley), died 15 Mar 1895 in Texas, but is buried beside her husband in Albany, KY. She apparently went to Texas to live with one of her daughters after John died.
For more information on the STOCKTON family, click here
The children of John2 IRWIN and Jemima STOCKTON IRWIN were:
- Evaline IRWIN born 27 Aug 1817 Cumberland Co., KY; died 6 Mar 1909 Cumberland Co., KY; married Oliver Perry DUVALL on 20 Sept 1836 in the same county.
- William IRWIN died in Long Bottom
- Francis IRWIN born 22 Jun 1819 in Albany, KY; died 11 Jan 1901 in Wells Bottom, KY. Francis married Sarah Ann GOGGINS. They had nine children.
Craft and Lucetta Irwin
Reproduced from the holdings of
the Texas State Archives.
- Craft IRWIN born 4 Dec 1824 in Cumberland Co., KY; died 4 Dec 1902; married first Juliza CLAYTON on 13 Nov 1845, by J.S. Page; there were at least two sons by this marriage
Something happened to July - as she is called in the 1850 census - and Craft later married Lucetta Ann MAXEY, 21 Oct 1852, daughter of Rice and Lucetta MAXEY. There is at least one son to this union as well - There is some question as to the mother of Louis. Possibly, she died in childbirth with Louis and Lucetta raised him as her own? (If anyone knows for certain, please email me)
- John IRWIN - born about 1847 - on 1850 Russell County, KY census as a small child;on 1860 Lamar County, TX census
- Oliver IRWIN - born about 1848 - on 1850 Russell County, KY census as a small child;on Lamar County, TX 1860 census
- Louis IRWIN - born about 1852 - shows up on 1880 Lamar County, TX, age 28, son of Craft
- Elmore IRWIN - born about 1870 - shows up on 1880 Lamar County, TX census
- Cunningham IRWIN born 27 Jun 1827**; died Jan 1879; married Elizabeth Ann MAXEY, daughter of Radford MAXEY and Susan HALSELL MAXEY of Monroe County, Kentucky. Cunningham was a farmer who built a home on the Cumberland River in Horseshoe Bottom in Russell Co., KY. He served in the Civil War - on the Union side. Cunningham or Ham, as he was known, and Elizabeth had nine children:
- Lewis IRWIN born 5 Jan 1828 in Cumberland Co., KY; married Otilla R.D. Goggins; died 7 Aug 1902 after moving to Mitchell Co., KS in 1881.
Emily Irwin Williams
Reproduced from the holdings of the Texas State Archives.
- Emily IRWIN born in 1822; married to Lemuel Hardin WILLIAMS on 24 Oct 1839; 12 children; died 1897.
- Piera IRWIN born 19 Feb 1835 in Clinton Co., KY; died 27 Mar 1881 Clinton Co., KY; buried in same cemetery in Albany, KY as her parents. One census listed her as a weaver.
*Elizabeth Gee Irwin, daughter of Cunningham Irwin wrote that John Irwin's birthdate was April 3rd 1789 and his wife, Jemima Irwin, was born May 5 1796.
**Cunnigham Irwin is noted by his daughter, Elizabeth Gee Irwin, to have been born Aug 27, 1827; she notes that her mother, Elizabeth A. (Maxey) Irwin - Cunningham's wife, was born Dec. 5, 1829.
This page last updated November 15, 2001
© copyright by Carla Smith 2001